RochelLeah's RealLife

Friday, May 26, 2006

Challah Amnesia

Now that I am out of school for the summer, I thought I might indulge in a simple pleasure I used to favor in the past... baking challah. This was further encouraged by a desire to fulfill J.'s desire for raisin challah three months before they are readily available in stores.

I eagerly looked forward to warm, tasty bread with which I would present J. for Shabbat. Such hopes were a bit naive... I was experiencing Challah Amnesia, a state of being characterized by the following symptoms: forgetting the length of time necessary for challah completion; trying a new recipe, untested by any personal acquaintance; underestimating the extent of the mess challah-making (specifically, the kneading of the dough) creates in the kitchen; and/or believing that the recipe is correct regarding rising times (once just isn't enough).

Moreover, I failed to account for two other factors: the fact that my oven runs hot (since I rarely use it for anything precise) and my own level of exhaustion (since I didn't even start until almost 11 pm).

The results were not inedible. However, J. correctly noted that the consistency and density of my challot were more like bagels than real bread.

Sigh.

Next time, I will use the recipe pre-tested by my wise roommate. I will allocate an appropriate amount of time and start before 6 pm. I will set my oven to a temperature that is about 50-75 degrees F. lower than what the recipe calls for. And I will prepare the kneading location in order to minimize the mess I will inevitably create.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home