RochelLeah's RealLife

Thursday, August 11, 2005

A Few Things to Mention of My Busy Day

Once again, I am house-sitting. Instead of an agoraphobic kitty (see earlier post), I am now charged with the care of one with diabetes. I give insulin shots and the least stinky cat food ever twice daily to Mr. Kiki. (Yes, that's right. I give the cat shots. For those of you aware of my needle-phobia, please pick your jaws off the floor.) Kiki is rather beautiful, but can sometimes be rather annoying at the time of the shots, despite the fact that no shot means no food (well, at least not immediately). I knew I had to chill out a bit when I hissed back at Kiki. Luckily, Kiki does not bear grudges and was happy to receive my petting later that evening.

Today was a momentous occasion: I finally reclaimed possession of several items that had been held by friends for various reasons (largely because of my lack of car). Number one, my gorgeously framed ordination certificates. Number two, my white High Holy Day robe (custom made for me for over $500). Numbers three and four, my ordination tallit and a pair of very comfy black shoes, both of which had been held captive for months by my beloved friend Seri. Number five (which is more than one item), a bunch of books for the liturgy class I'm teaching.

Even more momentous than the reunions with my much-missed possessions, I downsized my storage locker from a 10x5 to a 5x5. I had just barely not fit in a 5x5 before, but now (with the removal of some items to be given away and donated, and other for which I now have room in my apartment) have squeezed in. This could not have been managed without the assistance of the aforementioned Seri, who is known for her superior spatial skills (note to Julie, should she read this--I'm sure you could have done it, too...). I will now save myself $65 a month. Not a huge amount, but one that certainly adds up quickly over time.

Final exceptional item of the day: I finally experienced one of the few roads that goes between Alameda county and Contra Costa without a freeway. This road is Pinehurst, which runs between Moraga and Montclair. I believe that this may well be one of the scarier roads I have ever driven. And I learned to drive on Sunset and Mulholland Blvds. in LA. It is totally pitch-black. It is very narrow most of the time. It is very windy (that's wind-y, not windy). It has those types of woods where, if you're someone like me with an active imagination, you can easily imagine bad things happening. In its defense, there are no sheer drops. But that's about all that can be said for it. It felt like it lasted forever. It was only four miles. In that time, I saw two cars and a really random middle-of-nowhere post office.

Well, that's about it for now. Time to rest up.

1 Comments:

  • Wait, do you drive now? I'm confused. Did you walk 4 miles through the woods? Do you need a red riding hood and a basket of flowers for grandma?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home