RochelLeah's RealLife

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

New Nephew, Abandoned-Found-and-Left-Behind Knitting Project, and Back to Berkeley

Ahhhh... Berkeley. How I have missed her. During my absence of two weeks, she has changed little (as one would expect). I arrived just in time for Shavuot to start and managed to be conscious for about half the holiday. Somewhat better rested, I can share a bit about my trip.

The biggest news is that I have a new nephew, Paltiel. (Yes, that is his name. It's pronounced Pahl-tee-el. It comes from I Samuel. Look it up. And you can refrain from the naming-as-child-abuse comments.) He is super-cute, but rather large--he was born at 9 lbs, 10 ozs. My sister finally had the baby on day 9 of the neverending labor (which lasted from Friday to the following Saturday). Baby and Ima are well. Abba is sleepy from assisting with night feedings, and big brother seems very pleased with his baby.

I did not see much of LA while I was down there, but did have some fun with friends and numerous trips with my not-quite-three-year-old nephew to the park, Petco (where we enjoy looking at the animals), and the library. My sweetheart, Joshua, came down from Berkeley for the last weekend of my trip, when he managed to meet a bunch of family members and friends.
I am happy to say that both Joshua and I survived his first encounter with my family, including both my twin sister and mother. Thankfully, I do not have the type of family that insists that I be glued to them for the duration of a visit, so Joshua and I escaped to have Shabbat dinner with some of my college friends, go to services at the Shtibl Minyan, enjoy a drink with more friends at the Cat and the Fiddle (in Hollywood), and enjoy a beach visit under the stars.

Upon leaving, I nearly instantaneously started remembering various items I left at my sister's place. Chief among these items is a knitting project that I had recently taken up again: a blanket for baby based on the traditional log-cabin quilt pattern. It's really simple and interesting despite the fact that it only uses a very simple garter stitch.
This pattern is pretty close to the one I've been using: http://www.gps.caltech.edu/~yuie/knit/proj/blanket.html. Instead of using Homespun, I'm using a sport-weight cotton in white, lime green, lavender, and canary yellow. Luckily, I have a friend who is coming up from LA next week who will hopefully be able to deliver the knitting bag, nalgene water-bottle, clothes, flax-oil capsules, and whatever else I haven't discovered missing yet.

1 Comments:

  • Whats all this then about me being helpful? Pish posh. Very well then, but I expect cookies, tea and perhaps be allowed to judge a sunlit game of croquet where all the competitors are attractive, sassy british men vying for my love. Let's call Damon Albarn first.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home